The future of L.A. is on the line, but let’s first talk about the present.
The people of Los Angeles are experiencing multiple crises and middle-class workers are suffering the most. Violent crime is rising, our homeless neighbors are living in inhuman conditions and fuel prices have increased to $5 per gallon in many areas of the city. Inflation is eating up your buying power. Even grocery prices are rising, and people are grappling with this question: Do I pay my rent/mortgage, DWP bill, medical bills, or car payment?
Schools are failing our children, childcare is too expensive, students and their families are sinking deeper under the weight of student loan debt, so many residents work two jobs to make ends meet. Housing is not affordable, which is causing businesses to flee Los Angeles. As these businesses escape to cities where money goes further, they take with them good-paying jobs, our kids, and our grandkids who move to find better economic quality of life. Middle-class workers worry daily about how they are going to make it and avoid becoming homeless in L.A.
I was raised by two single women. My mother cleaned houses during the day and office buildings at night. My grandmother cleaned houses and worked a small side business at the swap meet. I grew up poor, went to school, opened a small business and worked my way into the middle-class. Middle-class workers, I understand your fears, I feel your pains. I believe that you shouldn’t have to work two jobs to pay your bills.
Here’s what I know: Career politicians haven’t done what is needed to support middle-class workers and small businesses in Los Angeles. It’s time to send a strong message by voting for change. Vote for me, Mel Wilson, for Mayor of Los Angeles. A budget is a list of one’s priorities and the budget I will set for the L.A. city government will improve the quality of life of children, students, families, individuals, and business owners in the city of Los Angeles.
What grade do you give Career politicians? A, B, C, D, F
- Utilities, DWP
- Violent Crime
- Housing Affordability
- Student Loan Debt Relief
- Support for the Middle-Class
By funding childcare, after school programs and part-time jobs for high school students, we will provide support to L.A. families. By funding an increase in the number of LAPD patrol officers by 1,500 and hiring 350 mental health/community case workers we will drive down violent crimes. By funding down payment assistance for first time buyers we will make homeownership affordable. By offering incentives to developers for building affordable apartments we will increase housing production and drive down apartment rental costs. By streamlining the permit process and eliminating the city’s gross business tax we will position businesses to pay higher wages. By funding the creation and placement of 30,000 supportive housing beds for our unhoused neighbors we will help many to transition from homelessness.
Don’t lose hope – I have vision and a concrete action plan to solve these crises and usher Los Angeles into an era in which the residents and businesses revitalize and thrive. I cannot do this alone. We are stronger together! Make it clear that the Mayor and Los Angeles City Council need to fund programs that improve your income and quality of life. Join with me to create a better Los Angeles and vote for me, Mel Wilson, for mayor!
My Vision and Concrete Action Plan is For a Better L.A.
My vision is for a safer, greener, business-friendly city where people have affordable, supportive housing and where middle-class workers get childcare subsidies, funding for after school programs and down payment assistance for purchasing their first home.
- My multi-faceted Action Plan: We will provide 75,000 childcare subsidies spaces to support working families.
- Tomorrow’s Youth Work: My plan will provide part-time employment to 75,000 actively enrolled high school students and reward academic performance with merit bonus pay.
- Housing L.A.: This structured plan includes down payment assistance for 15,000 first time homebuyers and establishes and 30,000 supportive housing beds for our unhoused neighbors.
- Making L.A. Business-friendly: includes eliminating the gross business tax, streamlining permits, offering loans that can be forgiven if employers hire and retain workers at competitive wages and facilitating bioscience industry clusters to create good-paying jobs.
- Student Loan Debt Relief Campaign: We will start a national campaign to establish policy that will bring about student loan forgiveness.
- Making L.A. Green and Sustainable: My goal will be to reduce greenhouse gases by 50% through the reduction of carbon emissions.
Join the fight to support the middle-class – make a Better L.A. for all Angelinos.
Vote Mel Wilson for Mayor of Los Angeles!
Do you like this page?